|Get Custom Boards in the App Store!|
Most likely, all of you use or have used Boardmaker to create communication boards and other visual supports for your kids. Mayer-Johnson and the community of Boardmaker users have even created platforms for sharing resources to help professionals and parents create materials with Boardmaker quickly and easily, such as Boardmaker Share and the Speaking of Speech Materials Exchange. BUT, Mayer-Johnson has not yet released a mobile solution to fulfill our visual support making needs! I like to think of Custom Boards as the cousin (twice removed I suppose) of Boardmaker. While Custom Boards doesn’t yet offer the editing power we see in Boardmaker, it is a smart little App that makes creating visual supports on the fly a breeze.
Things I Love About Custom Boards:
· Simple, easy to use app design
· An extensive library of Smarty Symbols and the ability to use photos from your iPad
· Ability to save boards to user folders keeps you organized and makes finding saved boards easier
· Printed boards are well formatted
· Extensive template library that allows you to create tons of materials easily
· A Lite version in the App Store, and tutorial and demo videos allow users to try before they buy
· A cost effective solution (in comparison to Boardmaker) for parents to create boards at home
My Wish List for Custom Boards:
· I hope they fix the Email function as it isn’t working on my version
· Ability to change the font type, size, and color
· Ability to resize and combine symbols within cells
· Being able to search and add Google Images from within the App would be really cool J
Overall, I think this is a great App for creating visuals on the go and I really love the price in comparison with Boardmaker, making this a nice solution for families to create visuals at home. It is important to note that you do need to have air printing abilities to print these boards from your iPad, otherwise, you will need to email them to yourself and print them from a computer. I know that many professionals and parents who try this App may experience some longing for the PCS library found in Boardmaker products; however, I encourage everyone to open their symbol minds and try something new! J Download Custom Boards now to try it for yourself!
What do you think of Custom Boards and the Smarty Symbols Library?