1.23.2012

My Wishlist for iPad 3: Are You Listening, Apple?

So depending on which rumor-mill you follow, you may have recently heard chatter about the upcoming iPad 3. Most sources agree that Apple recently began production of this much anticipated follow-up to the current iPad 2.  So when can we hope to hold this treasure? Possibly early next year.  So in the meantime, I have entertained my imagination by reading up on speculations of the new and improved features we can expect to see on this new gem.  Some reports include a thinner, sleeker design, higher screen resolution and camera quality, and even an anti-fingerprint/ Schmutz-proof coating for the screen!  all are very cool, indeed.  But I want to know where the cool, innovative accessibility features are!! We count on Apple to answer our pleas, don't we?  Here are a few things I would like to see realized in the iPad 3!  Pay attention, Apple!

  • The ability to adjust access method and touch screen sensitivity: I want to see touch exit, scanning, and (because I am a big dreamer) eye gaze!  I want to be able to change my touch screen settings to be feather light or elephant firm because my kids need these options!  Hey, Dynavox and PRC can do it, why can't you?
  • An iOS update that allows me to access my tablet with a switch:  Now I know this is tricky with you keep the iOS components under warps.  And I know that the whole point of an iQPad (according to Apple) is its touch screen technology.  And I know that things should look pretty and tightly organized and blah blah blah.  BUT, the fact is, our kids use switches, our kids use iPads, and right now, they need an iPad that can step up to the challenge!  Android is getting there, but Apple (shaking head), you're letting' me down...
  • App folder icons that I can customize and subdivide:  Now maybe this is just because I am visually impaired and a bit OCD at the same time, but on my behalf, and I believe, to the benefit of many of my kids, I would really like it if I could assign different folder icons to my App folders when I organize them on the iPad desktop.  The little black boxes with smudgey colored boxes inside of them don't help me navigate!  To be honest, they just irk me.  Doesn't it make more sense to be able to assign a meaningful, representational symbol to my folders so that I can navigate more quickly?  And I would really love it if I could create folders within folders to further organize my Apps.  And let's not stop there, could I possibly password protect said folders to keep my kids out of certain Apps?  Seems easy enough for Windows, so not sure why it isn't on my iPad.
  • Ability to change font size, icon size, and contrast of home screen:  While we are on the topic on the desktop, the iPad 3 should let me change the font size, icon size, and color contrast of my home screen for easier navigation. I can make the print larger in some features but not others and the inconsistency doesn't cut it.  Yeah, yeah, I know about Zoom, but you try using it for sustained periods of time and you'll see what I mean.  :)
What do you want to see happen in the new iPad 3?

No comments:

Post a Comment